What is a Summary Care Record (SCR)?
A Summary Care Record is a way of telling health and care staff important information about you.
Only authorised healthcare professionals directly involved in your care can access your SCR. Your SCR won’t be used for any other purposes.
The person viewing your SCR:
- needs to have an NHS Smartcard with a chip and passcode
- will only see the information they need to do their job
- will have their details recorded every time they look at your record
- In addition, the healthcare professional must seek your permission if they need to look at your SCR. If they can’t ask you because you’re unconscious or otherwise unable to communicate, they may decide to look at your record because doing so is in your best interest.
As well as your name, address, date of birth and NHS number a basic SCR contains the following information:
- the medicines you’re taking
- your allergies
- bad reactions you may have to certain medicines
Patients registered with a GP practice in England automatically have a basic SCR created unless they have opted out
Can I add more information to my Summary Care Record?
You can choose to add additional information to your SCR. It gives a summary of your medical history and can include
- Your long term health conditions such as asthma, diabetes, heart problems or rare medical conditions.
- Your relevant medical history – clinical procedures that you have had, why you need a particular medicine, the care you are currently receiving and clinical advice to support your future care.
- Your immunisation history – details of previous vaccinations, such as tetanus and routine childhood jabs. Please use this consent form to add additional information into your SCR
How can I opt out of having a Summary Care Record?
You can choose to opt out of having an SCR at any time. If you do opt out, you need to let us know by filling in an opt out form. If you are unsure whether you have already opted out please ask our reception staff.
If you later want to have a SCR you just need to ask the practice to change this for you.
Summary Care Record Patient Leaflet
Summary Care Record Patient Consent Form
Summary Care Record Patient Opt Out Form